Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Say Cheese!

Today was class picture day for MG, and it brought back many memories. Here the two most horrific.

1) HAIR. Don’t you love looking back at your school pictures and marveling at the hair? I was stuck in the perm phase. I also had the most awful short hairdo on the PLANET. A ‘friend’ of my mom’s was a hairdresser, and so my mom had her cut my hair. I hated it. I said so, and got in trouble. I looked like a boy from the back. (I’m still traumatized by that, mother.)

2) GLASSES. I actually think the little horn-rimmed glasses were cool. All of the pictures of my grandparents back in the day have them. They looked quite stylish in the black/white photos. BUT, I was stuck in the BIG glasses phase. Even when they did offer smaller frames, my glasses were too thick to fit in them. Giant glasses. I cringe when I see them.

And of course, when you’re in elementary school, they thought that it would be good to wait until the AFTERNOON to take pictures. So by the time it happened, your amazing hair is tangled and full of grass, glasses are dirty, and someone always had a wound on their face. And they always looked like mug shots! Sit on the stool sideways, look at the camera, smile for 6 hours. SNAP.

My kids pictures turn out much better. The do different poses, take them quickly and, novel idea, do them in the MORNING. I try to make sure their hair is done nicely, but not faddish, cute clothes and, when they start to wear glasses (which they will), take them off!!

Now, go pull out your old school pictures and revel at the sight of them!

1 comment: