Friday, February 13, 2009

A Single Point of View

No one really knows when or why Valentine’s Day started. There are at least three saints named Valentine (or Valentino) with different stories. It might be named after one that supposedly performed marriages after they had been outlawed. Could be the one Valentine that was killed for helping Christians escape Roman prisons. Or even the one that sent the first “valentine” to himself. (Check our THIS History Channel article).

Whatever the original reason, it was, at some point not too long ago, grabbed by the giant marketing machine and turned into this ridiculous reason to buy stuff. Yes, I do get my kiddos a little (read: cheap) something. But even when I was married, I didn’t “celebrate” it, and not just because it’s a multi-billion dollar (yes - BILLION) industry.

Shouldn’t showing your SO, kids - whoever - that you love them be something you do every day? Guys, shouldn’t you sometimes, just for no reason, do something special for your special? And, ladies, even though guys aren’t usually all schmoopy and sentimental, they do like funny and you can say, “Dude, you’re super special to me” anytime in a fun way!

I guess I don’t really buy into the idea that we’re supposed to pull it all out just one day of the year. Some people even think that, if they do something amazing on Valentine’s Day, the other 354 days of not-so-great will be instantly forgotten.

I don’t have a SO. But, I hope that when I do one day, we’ll love each other enough that we can show it everyday. So for all of you paired-lovey-dovey people, show each other more often. Say “I love you” at least once a day. Listen to each other, rely on one another, and make everyday “Valentine’s Day.” You never know when you won’t have it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Watch out - you may end up with a Schmoopy Sentimental Guy who wants to do Valentine's Day up to the max. And, I'll bet you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett & I show each other every single day that we adore each other...V-Day is just another reason to go out to dinner and to get a mushy card!

    ReplyDelete