Friday, December 11, 2009

Just Add Water...

Forgiveness is a funny thing. Of course I believe that it's necessary. God mandates it. Therefore, you must forgive. As a Jesus-follower, you want to forgive. And you do - eventually.

The thing is that forgiveness isn't like instant hot chocolate. You can't just add water and stir and - Voila! - instant and delicious forgiveness.

I grew up thinking that if I didn't totally and truly forgive someone the instant they wronged me in some way I would not go to heaven if I died right then. The last few months have finally broken that guilt associated with the inability to instantly and 100% forgive someone. And I believe that God - in His crazily infinite mercy - understands and grants us that grace.

I've come to realize that forgiveness is a process. For some things, the instant forgiveness is easy. Your sister punching you in the arm is usually quickly forgiven and forgotten. Some things, however, take much longer.

As I've worked through my own journey towards complete forgiveness, I've seen that some days are easy. Ok, yes, I forgive you. Other days, not so much. It doesn't help when the person you are wanting so hard to forgive seems to flaunt the thing you are so desparatly wanting to forgive them for.

I know that I will forgive. I want to, need to, have to. Even if there wasn't a million other reasons, just the fact that I've needed forgiveness for terrible things that I've done would be enough.

I just can't promise that it will be today.

Thank God for His grace for my human-stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment