Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Big Day

So, yesterday was the day that MG got her tonsils and adenoids removed. We left the house just after 7:00 am, and I realized that we needed gas. That can be helpful to get places. So, after that, we got to the surgery center at about 7:45 am. It was really nice. Lots of places to sit and play and watch movies. We waited about 30 minutes or so, then were called back to the next waiting area.

There, MG got her weight and temperature and got to pick out a movie. Wallace and Grommit and rabbits. Anyway, she got on the little rolley bed, and they gave her some medicine to calm her (which is what caused the cute little boy across the hall to giggle forever!) and a warm blanket. They get to bring a lovey, so she had her beloved Pooh Bear clutched tightly!

The doctor came to see us, then the nurse and the anesthesiologist, then not too long after that they wheeled her away.

Yes, I realize it's not a crazy surgery, and it really only took about 10 minutes, but still. To watch your precious baby wheeled away to have things taken out of her is a little scary!

I was put in a tiny little waiting room, and called my mom to pass the time. Then about 15 minutes later the doctor came in and said everything went great and gave me a stack of prescriptions. Then he left and I waited some more. Soon, I kept hearing the nurse saying MG's name over and over and I could hear her crying (you know the sound of your baby's cry!) and that's when I got anxious. She needed her mommy! I guess they were calming her down as she was coming out of her sleep.

FINALLY, the nurse opened the door and we went to the recovery area. There were a lot of kids there! So many, in fact, that we got to go to one of the private "extended recovery" rooms. My poor baby was so uncomfortable and her head hurt really bad. They brought her some medicine and a Popsicle and a Gatorade. She finally calmed down and we eventually got to go home.

She's doing ok now. Really sluggish, but the constant influx of drugs are helping the pain a lot. She did throw up last night before bed, but I think she still had the sleepy drugs in her system and then ate too much. She'll be out of school for a week, then on no activity for another week, but she's a brave girl!

Now, to heal and breathe!

No comments:

Post a Comment