Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thank You, Captain Obvious

Today's post is definitely obvious after the phone call I am about to recount to you.

The satellite is down. Not working. No signal. It's been acting up for a couple of days, which I thought was the rain or something, but it's not working at all today. My mom, being the football fanatic that she is, immediately called DirecTV first thing this morning. They are sending a technician out on.... Tuesday! Yay! [Not.]

Then she made me call them back to make sure they are going to give us a credit for the 4+ days that it's been out, especially since she is missing the playoffs. (She doesn't strike as a football fan, does she? But she is. She will hole up in the media room and watch about 42 games in a row.)

So I call, and 'Pat' answered. (I'm not explaining that. If you don't know, YouTube some OLD SNL.) I state that we have a service call, but since they're not coming until Tuesday, and we're missing the playoffs, we should get a credit for the time the satellite is not working. Ok, that's the plan, moving on.

I ask if they live stream or if they have any recommendations of where we can live stream the games. First, I don't think Pat knows what live streaming is. I had to repeat it. The first answer was, "The football games show on your local stations." I had to pause for a moment. Then I said that yes, I know that, but we don't have any satellite feed, remember? "Oh, yes, I see that here on the service call." You mean the service call that you've been looking at? That one?

Then the answer was, "I know that there are a few restaurants and sports bars in your area that will show the game. Also, if you have a friend or family member that gets local channels, you can watch with them." Thank you, Captain Obvious. I never would have thought of that. That isn't what I asked though. I started to repeat the question, which I think confused Pat more, so I just said never mind and thanked Pat.

Sometimes I wonder about people.

1 comment: