Thursday, January 22, 2009

"I can't help it - it's so beautiful!"

I have to admit it.

It’s not a secret. My family knows. They laugh at me sometimes.

I reference the quote from A Bug’s Life. I really can’t help it. I’m surprised anyone can. Even after a couple terrible heartbreaks, I still can’t help it.

WHAT? (I know you’re screaming it.)

Here goes. My confession.

I love Marines.

(My mom and aunt are probably now in hysterics!!)

Honestly, have you ever seen one up close in their dress blues? It’s a-maze-ing. To me, they are the ultimate military. (Yes, I was in the Navy – what’s your point? They are technically a division of the Navy, so I’m not straying.)

The hardest boot camp, always on the front lines. A good Marine is tough when needed, but can bring it down and love his family at the end of the “day”. (Even when a “day” lasts months.)

My best friend was a Marine, and now she is a Marine wife. I think that, aside from actually being one, she has one of the most difficult jobs. For most of the time the Marine’s have been in existence, family has been the last in a list of priorities. Only in the last several years has that changed, and now they are making an effort to support the family more. (One of the reasons for my fabulous non-profit organization.)

So, there you have it. Ex-boyfriends (you know who you are) and ex-husband, heartbreak, hardships – I still love them. I admit it.

Confession over.

P.S. – My dear friend, if you’re reading this – you know my criteria! :)

2 comments:

  1. Criteria...let's see. Must be a handsome Marine who looks dashing in dress blues, loves family and puts them first, loves kids who are probably cuter than himself, and (ta-da, drum roll finale) must love God above all with a heart humble enough to do what it takes....

    ReplyDelete