Friday, January 16, 2009

Swirly Simba

I am perplexed. I have been perplexed for some time now. Years, in fact. What am I perplexed about?

My children’s hair.

Really. I don’t understand it. Up until a few days ago, my son’s hair had not been cut in months. (He screams like we are torturing him, so I don’t do it very often.) It was about 4+ inches long and blond. In the wind the other day, it looked like a lion’s mane blowing around.

What I am perplexed about is not the lion-like qualities of my sons head when his hair is long, but of what I call “the swirl.” My beautiful children have a swirly on their heads. At the crown, the part suddenly takes a turn and curves up. My boy’s is almost a perfect little circle, and my girl’s looks like a ‘J’. No matter a smooth and combed it is the night before, she looks like a hamster played in one section (the same section every night), and he looks like he stuck his finger in a socket.

I will comb, use the hair-straightener, gel it, spray it – NOTHING works. I can get the wrinkles out of her hair, but it still frizzes, and his hair still sticks up. Even with a “big-boy” cut, that little spot on his head sticks up.

Soon, my little girl will start doing her own hair. My son might not want his head shaved forever. I hope that the mystery will be solved by then, because teenagers with hair issues? Not a good combo.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me recall Katy's "lion-hair" from kid's camp when she didn't comb it all week!

    ReplyDelete