Monday, January 26, 2009

Oh, the Horror!

I did not know that head-wounds bled that bad.

I mean, I knew that they bled worse than any other part of the body because of the thin skin, but not THAT bad.

Saturday night after church, my friend B came over to watch Burn Notice. (GREAT show!) I was making us nachos, and the kids were (supposedly) getting ready for bed. Down come MB saying that MG had cut her [hand] and that it was bleeding and she was crying. So, I moseyed up the stairs (my children are complete drama over the tiniest boo-boo) thinking it was a scratch, bandaid, done. I round the corner, and MG is sitting on the potty holding her head. So I asked if she bumped her head, she said yes and told me the story. (Bending down, MB turned off the light, she came up and hit the counter.) I walk over and, staying as calm as I could, saw enormous amounts of bleeding. Like someone had turned a faucet on. Running down her back, into and on the toilet, floor, shower curtain. EVERYWHERE.

I grab a rag and get it wet and squash it on her head, and tell MB that mommy needs help and to go get Geemaw. Well, Geemaw doesn’t think it’s bad at this point, so takes her sweet time (love you, momJ). I start calling her, and she comes up and looks behind MB and tries also to stay calm. We don’t let MG turn around because of the massive red all over the place. Geemaw helps take MG’s shirt off and wipes her back off as I continue to squash her head and try to keep her calm. Geemaw gets Bapa’s nick-stuff (little tube that instantly stops shaving nicks from bleeding – I should get some), and we get her pj’s on. Some liquid Tylenol and off to bed. When I finally found the cut the next morning, it was the tiniest little thing.

I now need a new toilet seat. We have a padded one that had ripped, and the foam got soaked. Moral? Don’t let your kids cut their heads while sitting on a ripped foam toilet seat. And be warned that they bleed – A LOT.

1 comment:

  1. This story is precisely why every mother needs a red hand towel for such emergencies. If you can't see the blood, it doesn't hurt as much.

    ReplyDelete