Friday, December 10, 2010

The Flamingo and the Gazelle

This is a story about a Christmas Flamingo and a Graceful Gazelle.

It all starts with a trip to Target with my sister. We want to by Inception (combo pack for cheap!) and I need an ornament for a party.

After way too long in the Wii game aisle, and another chunk of time spent being amazed at the awful ornaments being sold, we see it. It's beautiful, twinkly and pink.

The Christmas Flamingo lawn ornament.

My dad thinks pink flamingos are the tackiest and coolest things ever. This large ornament has been available for two years, and every time my mom, sister or I go to Target, we stare at it for a bit, pondering if we should just give in and get it. We never do.... Until today.

My sister and I bought it. We got home and while my all knowing mom is inside, we get it put together in the back of my car and set it up on the porch, right next to the tiny topiary. She didn't inspect the rustling, which is a first.

Obstacle two: The wild zoo animals that will be home any moment and will run in the house yelling about it. They saw it, and my sister intercepted them to swear them to secrecy, and then I distracted them with a new Wii game.

We get it all ready, and manually turn the lights on and IT TWINKLES!!!! Not that awful blinking, but just little twinkles. Even more awesome! And we wait. We can't see out the front door while standing up right now because of the wreaths, so we're kneeling there, peering through the window like kids in a candy store, SO excited for the parentals to come home and see it.

They drive up, the car slows, then stops, and I see my mom laughing, telling my dad to put his glasses on. They loved it! Success! My dad is quite excited. He wants to expand the collection and do a pink flamingo nativity scene. That may be going too far.

The Graceful Gazelle? That's my sister. She is quite clumsy, which can be very amusing. As the kids and I sit at the table eating, she's running back and forth making sure the lights are on so the parents will get the full effect of the awesomeness of the flamingo. She is finally successful, and as she comes "gliding" in to the kitchen, we hear, "I fixed the flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..." and see her head disappear. She is in socks, on tile, and is so enthusiastic that her feet get a little ahead of the rest of her body. She tries to grab the wall to no avail, and she's down. I hope she's not hurt, but the laughter is bubbling. She's laying there and says, "Oh, I didn't just die!" I wasn't sure what she would do, but by this point I'm laughing so hard I can't see through the tears, and she can't get up off the floor because she's laughing so hard. Those of you who are reading this and know my sister can picture this, yes?

So that is the story of the Flamingo and the Gazelle.


2 comments:

  1. hahaha! I didn't even need to be there...I saw it in my mind.
    Auntie Cindie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the girls should receive some kind of Poo-Bah award for pulling this off. As I approached the house while driving and talking to Ron,in a matter of a few seconds, many things flood my mind. It begins to break through the focused yet hazy (menopausal)brain that something is slightly amiss in front of our door. Things like "what is that" "is that a pink nutcracker statue on the porch" "is something broken" "it appears to be metal in nature and well-lit but what....." flash through my mind. Simultaneously my subconscious says there are beaming faces peering out the bottom of the front door window. "What are the kids doing?" is my first natural reaction. But then the snappy mind that I have tells me that it's my big girls' faces, and I have to wonder why they are down so low, why they would even be looking at the door or caring that we parentals are arriving home, and more specifically, why they would have extra-large poop-eating grins on their faces. THEN..ta-da...it dawns on me: They've actually done it - purchased the perfectly awesome pink flamingo!! All the while I've come to a complete stop in the middle of the street, Ron is yelling at me to get out of the road/why am I stopping, etc. etc. Through my laughter I try telling him to find his glasses and put them on to look at the front door. Yes, it takes the elderly awhile to catch on, but we eventually did and loved every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete