Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Oldies, But (Mostly) Goodies

I bought Flight of the Navigator the other day. I LOVED that movie when I was a kid. So, my kids and I watched it and they loved it! We've all decided we want a space ship like that one.

Another one of my favorites was The NeverEnding Story. So, that one wasn't AS cool to me now, but the kids think it's awesome. Falkor the Luck Dragon is awesome. Atreyu! (I know all the girls made him their Fake Celebrity Boyfriend back then!) And, of course, Artax. Stupid horse.

My sister, for some reason I may never know, thinks Labyrinth is absolutely amazing. She's 20. Is it Davie Bowie and his Joe Dirt wig? The puppet sheepdog that turns into a real dog from distance shots that looks nothing like the puppet? Or is it David Bowie singing? (My cousin will hate me for saying all these things about David Bowie. Not sure about her, either. (Kidding!))

I don't remember if it's the first movie I saw in a theater, but it's the first one I remember. My aunt took me to see An American Tail on my 8th birthday. I think I cried. Or, maybe she took me to see The Great Mouse Detective. Or maybe both. That's what aunties do!

Nostalgia. Anyone else?

1 comment:

  1. I was a big fan of The Neverending Story, but as an adult, it didn't have the same impact as I thought. My kids didn't really care for that one either...hey, am I losing my mojo here??? I still love the story of the boy who doesn't quite fit in--totally identified with that character--who lives life temporarily through story.

    One of my favorite movies growing up was Grease. What can I say? I've become a very laid-back guy in my mid-thirties but cross me, and the T-Bird in me still comes out from time to time...
    :)

    ReplyDelete